Polish-born Israeli architect. He settled (1920) in Palestine, where he designed and built several buildings in the kibbutz of Gan Shemuel. He studied (1926–9) at the Bauhaus under Gropius and Meyer, and (1929–31) directed Meyer's Berlin office and helped to realize Meyer's design for the Allgemeiner Deutscher Gewerkschaftsbund School, Bernau. He returned (1931) to Palestine and set up in practice. In 1948 he became Director and Chief Architect of the National Planning Agency, and was in charge of the Physical National Plan directly under David Ben-Gurion (1886–1973), Prime Minister of Israel (1948–63). With others he designed the Hillside Housing, Upper Nazareth (1955–7), the Hospital, Ichilov, Tel Aviv (1954–60), the Israeli Pavilion, Expo 58, Brussels (1957–8), the Churchill Auditorium, Technion, Haifa (1956–8), a Convalescent Home, Tiberias (1965–71, the headquarters of the Bank of Israel, Jerusalem (1969–74), the Master-plan for Civic Design of the Old City of Jerusalem (1967–9), and the Jerusalem suburb of Gilo (1973–6).
Kalman (1994);Jane Turner (1996)