Journal Article

Are <i>Haemophilus influenzae</i> Infections a Significant Problem in India? A Prospective Study and Review

in Clinical Infectious Diseases

Published on behalf of Infectious Diseases Society of America

Volume 34, issue 7, pages 949-957
Published in print April 2002 | ISSN: 1058-4838
Published online April 2002 | e-ISSN: 1537-6591 | DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/339327
Are Haemophilus influenzae Infections a Significant Problem in India? A Prospective Study and Review

More Like This

Show all results sharing these subjects:

  • Infectious Diseases
  • Immunology
  • Public Health and Epidemiology
  • Microbiology

GO

Show Summary Details

Preview

It has been suggested Haemophilus influenzae serotype b (Hib) disease is uncommon in Asia. During 1993–1997, we conducted prospective surveillance of acute infections caused by H. influenzae in 6 academic referral Indian hospitals. The study included 5798 patients aged 1 month to 50 years who had diseases likely to be caused by H. influenzae; 75% of the patients were aged <5 years. A total of 125 H. influenzae infections were detected, 97% of which were caused by Hib. Of 125 isolates, 108 (86%) were from children aged <5 years, and 11 (9%) were from adults aged µ18 years. Sixty-two percent of the patients had meningitis. The case-fatality rate was 11% overall and 20% in infants with Hib meningitis. Up to 60% of all isolates were resistant to chloramphenicol, ampicillin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, or erythromycin; 32% were resistant to ⩾3 antimicrobial drugs, but none were resistant to third-generation cephalosporins. These data suggest that available Hib vaccines will benefit Indian children.

Journal Article.  6691 words.  Illustrated.

Subjects: Infectious Diseases ; Immunology ; Public Health and Epidemiology ; Microbiology

Full text: subscription required

How to subscribe Recommend to my Librarian

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.