Chapter

Central nervous system tumours

Peter Hoskin and Wendy Makin

in Oncology for Palliative Medicine

Second edition

Published in print August 2003 | ISBN: 9780192628114
Published online November 2011 | e-ISBN: 9780191730115 | DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780192628114.003.0014
Central nervous system tumours

Show Summary Details

Preview

This chapter discusses the central nervous system (CNS) and the malignant tumours prevalent in this region of the body. Primary tumours of the central nervous system are rare, but they are more common than primary intracerebral tumours. Cerebral metastases account for 30 per cent in children. And overall, 80 per cent of the tumours in the CNS occur within the brain, while the remaining 20 per cent occur within the spinal cord. The common intracranial tumours in children are low-grade astrocytomas, medulablastoma, and ependymoma, while in adults the common tumours are high-grade astrocytomas. CNS tumours are usually non-metastatic; however, they can impose a threat by the localized seedling via cerebrospinal fluid circulation. The prognosis of CNS tumours heavily depends on their type and extent. In general, they can be excised; however, neurological deficits pose limitations. Some types of CNS malignancy, such as gliomas, medullablastomas, and ependymoma, have a cure rate of 50 per cent, while high-grade gliomas are universally fatal.

Keywords: central nervous system; tumours; intracerebral tumours; cerebral metastases; intracranial tumours; fluid circulation; CNS tumours; neurological deficits

Chapter.  4268 words.  Illustrated.

Subjects: Palliative Medicine

Full text: subscription required

How to subscribe Recommend to my Librarian

Buy this work at Oxford University Press »

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.