Chapter

Stroke: cerebrovascular disease

J van Gijn

in Oxford Textbook of Medicine

Published on behalf of Oxford University Press

Published in print May 2010 | ISBN: 9780199204854
Published online May 2010 | e-ISBN: 9780199570973 | DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/med/9780199204854.003.0241001

Series: Oxford Textbooks

Stroke: cerebrovascular disease

Show Summary Details

Preview

Case History—Four cases of headache.

Cerebrovascular diseases include many pathological conditions but the principal categories are (1) infarction—through occlusion of major arteries, small arteries or venous sinuses; and (2) haemorrhage—most often through rupture of small arteries, arterial aneurysms or capillaries.

Strokes are common, with annual incidence rates for subjects aged over 55 ranging from 420 to over 1000 per 100 000. They are the most important case of disability in developed Western nations and the second most frequent cause of death after coronary heart disease. About 80% of strokes are caused by cerebral infarcts, with the remainder due to haemorrhage, with 20% of these attributable to a bleeding cerebral aneurysm. The incidence of transient ischaemic attacks (TIAs) is about 50 per 100 000....

Chapter.  13127 words.  Illustrated.

Subjects: Neurology

Full text: subscription required

How to subscribe Recommend to my Librarian

Buy this work at Oxford University Press »

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.