Chapter

Cardiac Tumors

R. Scott Wright

Edited by Joseph G. Murphy

in Mayo Clinic Cardiology

Fourth edition

Published on behalf of © Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research

Published in print November 2012 | ISBN: 9780199915712
Published online May 2013 | e-ISBN: 9780199322824 | DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/med/9780199915712.003.1682

Series: Mayo Clinic Scientific Press

Cardiac Tumors

Show Summary Details

Preview

Primary tumors of the heart are exceedingly rare, accounting for less than 5% of all cardiac tumors; the remaining 95% are metastatic tumors to the heart. The most common primary cardiac tumors in adults are myxomas, usually occurring in the left atrium, followed by lipomas and fibroelastomas. The most common malignant cardiac tumor in adults is angiosarcoma. A malignant lymphoma may occasionally develop in the adult heart. In children, the most common cardiac tumor is rhabdomyoma and the most common malignant tumor is rhabdomyosarcoma. This chapter reviews various types of cardiac tumors and their presenations.

Chapter.  1931 words.  Illustrated.

Subjects: Cardiovascular Medicine

Full text: subscription required

How to subscribe Recommend to my Librarian

Buy this work at Oxford University Press »

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.