French architect. In 1805 he joined Percier's office in Paris, and in 1818 became Architect to the City of Angoulême and the Département de Charente. He designed the Palais de Justice (1825), Hôtel of the Prefecture (1828), the School, and the Grain Market, all in Angoulême. His son, also Paul Abadie (1812–84), became Diocesan Architect to Angoulême, Périgueux, and La Rochelle in 1848, and in 1861 Inspector-General of Diocesan Buildings. He designed the Hôtel de Ville at Angoulême, but is best known for his somewhat drastic over-restorations of the Cathedral Church of St-Pierre (1854–82) at Angoulême and the Byzantino-Romanesque Church of St-Front at Périgueux (1852–1901), both of which owe more to conjecture than archaeology. He used the same style for his Church of Sacré-Cœur, Montmartre, Paris (1874–1919). In 1874 he succeeded Viollet-le-Duc as Architect of Notre Dame in Paris.
Hautecœur (1943–57);Laroche (ed.) (1988)