(b?Munich, fl 1535; d Munich, 1567). German sculptor, mason and medallist. In 1536 he became a master sculptor in Munich and shortly afterwards entered the service of Ludwig X, Duke of Bavaria. He moved to Landshut in 1537 to work on the construction of the Italian wing of the ducal Stadtresidenz. In 1555 he travelled to Neuburg an der Donau to oversee the shipment of stone for the palace's chimneys. He was influenced by and may have assisted Thomas Hering, the sculptor of these chimneys (see under Loy Hering). Also in 1555 he reverted to Munich citizenship.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.