Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A French term for a curved, convex relief ornament whose sinuous form is suggestive of shells, soft marine creatures, and cartouches. They were often used as window keystones in the first half of the 18th century.

Subjects: Art.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.