Piedmontese Roman-born lawyer-turned-architect, he succeeded Juvarra as architect in Turin in 1739, completing the latter's Palazzo Reale. His main secular works were the Palazzo Ghilini, Alessandria (1732), and the influential Teatro Regio (1736–40—cele-brated for its excellent acoustics and sightlines), the Segretario di Stato (1739–67), the Piazza d'Erbe, and the Carceri Senatoriali, all in Turin. His Church of Santi Remigio e Giovanni at Carignano (1757–64) has an odd plan, a spectacularly enriched interior, and a contrasting plain façade. His design for the west front of the Cathedral of St-Pierre at Geneva (1752–6) is in an advanced Neo-Classical style. He published Il nuovo teatro regia di Torino in 1740.
A. Bellini (1978);Cancro (1992);Macera (1992);Pommer (1967)