(1810–71), Dean of Canterbury. He entered Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1829, and was elected fellow in 1834. In 1835 he became Vicar of Wymeswold, Leicestershire. From 1853 to 1857 he ministered to a large congregation at Quebec Chapel, Marylebone, and then became Dean of Canterbury, where he remained till his death. His most important work was an edition of the Greek NT (1849–61), in which he united freshness of treatment with wide learning. He also translated the Odyssey, wrote several well-known hymns (among them, ‘Come, ye thankful people, come’ and ‘Ten thousand times ten thousand’), edited the writings of J. Donne (1839), published some original verse, and was the first editor of the Contemporary Review.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.