A mechanical engineer who pioneered the use of aerial photography for archaeological research. Born in Oxford, he was educated at Boxgrove School, Guildford, and Clifton College, before attending the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich. He resigned his commission, however, to become an engineer, working for some years on the east coast of Africa. During WW1 he served in the Royal Tank Corps, after the war joining his family business and finding time to become an enthusiastic airman. Piloting his own aircraft, the first privately owned aircraft in Oxford, and using a hand‐made camera, he became well known for his pictures of archaeological sites in the Oxford area, which were mostly taken between 1933 and 1938. In 1936 he was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries. He was killed in a motor‐cycle accident in November 1940.
D. N. Riley, 1984, Introduction. Aerial Archaeology, 10, 1–16