On the east bank of the Strӯmōn, which surrounds the city on three sides (hence its name), 5 km. (3 mi.) from its seaport Eïon; it was originally the site of a Thracian town, Ennea Hodoi (‘nine ways’; see thrace). After two unsuccessful attempts, it was colonized by the Athenians, with other Greeks, under Hagnon, in 437/6 bc. It owed its importance partly to its strategic position on the coastal route between northern Greece and the Hellespont, and partly to its commercial wealth as the terminal of trade down the Strymon valley, a depot for the minerals of Pangaeus and a centre for ship‐timber. In 424 Amphipolis surrendered to Brasidas. It remained independent until 357, when it was captured by Philip II who gave it a favoured status in the Macedonian kingdom. Alexander 2 the Great made it the chief mint in his domains. Under the Romans as an important station on the via Egnatia it was declared a ‘free city’.
Subjects: Medieval and Renaissance History (500 to 1500) — Classical Studies.