A temple in Pagān.Burma.constructed by Kyanzittha who ascended the throne of Pagān in 1084. The temple, possibly intended as a funerary monument for its builder, is constructed in the form of a cross with four receding terraces and two receding curved roofs. It is crowned by a śikhara or central spire. In the centre of the interior an enormous cube rises up to the spire and bears on each face a colossal figure of the Buddha with his hands in the gesture (mudrā) of teaching. According to The Glass Palace Chronicle of the Kings of Burma the temple is intended to represent the cave of an ascetic in the Himalayas.