(fl 1456–91). ?Italian painter, active in France. His work is known only through documents. He is first recorded at the court of Charles, Duke of Orléans, in Blois in January 1456, when he was paid for painting two chariots with the motto Rien ne m'est plus and for including gilt red and blue curtains, for the use of the Duke's wife, Mary of Cleves (1426–86). In 1457 André coloured and gilded sculptures of SS Hadrian and Sebastian by Jean Hervieu, which the Duchess gave to a chapel dedicated to St Catherine at Champbourdon (Loiret). In 1471 he provided at a cost of 110 livres a large altarpiece of the Birth of the Virgin installed in the chapel of the château of Montils-les-Tours. In 1472 André sold to the Duchess for 100 écus a gilt and polychrome altarpiece (‘à ymages enlevez’) of the Passion, which she intended for the chapel at Coucy-le-Château. According to Durrieu, André also supplied a panel of the Virgin and Child with Adoring Seraphim for the chapel of the château of Amboise. In 1483–4 the artist was paid for the gilding and painting of various jousting gear for the future king Louis XII and for painting large silk banners on which figured a pelican in piety and St Barbara. André also held the post of ‘huissier de salle’, organized receptions and ceremonies, including the funerals of Duke Charles in 1465 and of Jean de Dunois in 1469, and repeatedly travelled on confidential missions. On the death of Mary of Cleves, the artist probably resettled in Paris since an André (Pietre) is listed among painters and booksellers resident in the capital in 1491.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.