school of Aphrodisias

Quick Reference

 The existence of an Aphrodisian sculptural school was first proposed in 1943, on the basis of numerous statues in Roman and other museums signed by sculptors bearing the ethnic ‘Aphrodisieus’. Excavations at Aphrodisias have confirmed a rich sculptural tradition beginning in the 1st cent. bc and lasting into the 5th cent. ad. Large‐scale production was facilitated by the existence of quarries of fine white marble 2 km. (just over a mile) away. Portraits, architectural marbles (both narrative and decorative), sarcophagi, copies and small‐scale versions of classical originals constitute the school's main output.

Subjects: Classical Studies.

Reference entries