Originally founded in 1921 as a police force for the British League of Nations Mandate of Transjordan, it contained a force of 1,000 volunteers under the command of Colonel Frederick Peake. In the 1930s, under Major John Glubb it became a highly disciplined military force which played a significant part in campaigns in the Middle East in World War II. In 1948–9, with a strength of over 7,000 volunteers, it won and held East Jerusalem and the West Bank territories, which Abdullah ibn Hussein proclaimed part of the Kingdom of Jordan in 1949. Glubb resigned in 1956, by which time the Legion had become the nucleus of the Jordan Arab Army.
Subjects: Contemporary History (Post 1945).