(b Thörl, nr Villach, c. 1435–40; d Villach, 1523–9). Austrian painter. Known formerly for his frescoes at St George, Gerlamoos (Carinthia), he was identified in 1939–40 by the name Thomas, which during restoration work was found inscribed by a Crucifixion painted by the same hand in St Andreas, Thörl; this name was in turn linked with a Thomas von Villach mentioned in a register of tenants of 1468 and described by the chancellor to the patriarch of Aquileia in 1486 as a ‘second Apelles’ who had painted altar retables in Villach (these are untraced). Further documents indicate he was a town magistrate of Villach in 1520.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.