Town in Bavaria on the River Main. It is first documented (ad 974) in relation to the collegiate church of SS Peter and Alexander, founded c. 950 by the ruling Ottonian dynasty. The church belonged to the archbishopric of Mainz from c. 980 until 1803. Aschaffenburg consequently became the second residence of the prince-bishops of Mainz and played a significant role politically, economically and culturally. The church was rebuilt between the 12th and 15th centuries, and was stylistically influenced by Reformation architecture. It has a beautiful three-winged cloister (1220–40) and chapter house (now Stiftsmuseum). Its rich furnishing includes a life-size Romanesque crucifix (c. 1100); two pieces by Matthias Grünewald (the frame, 1519, for the Virgin of the Snows Altarpiece (paintings dispersed), and the Lamentation, c. 1525); and works by Peter Vischer the younger, Hans Vischer (see Vischer, (4) and (5) and Hans Juncker (c. 1582–c. 1524).
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.