(1837–1921). A pupil and partner (1860–9) of E. W. Pugin, whose sister he married. He later formed a partnership with Peter Paul Pugin (1851–1904) and Cuthbert Welby Pugin (1840–1928), and later still (1902–21) with Thomas A. Coleman (d. 1950). He designed numerous buildings for the RC Church, but his masterpiece must be the RC Cathedral, Cobh, Co. Cork (1867–1902), designed with E. W. Pugin, and beautifully sited above the harbour. Ashlin's rich screens and other fittings within the RC Cathedral at Armagh were partially destroyed in 1977–82 during the re-ordering following Vatican 2. His Lombardic choir with apse and side-chapels at the RC Cathedral, Skibbereen, Co. Cork, deserves note, as does his handsome steeple at St Eugene's RC Cathedral, Londonderry (1900). He completed A. W. N. Pugin's RC Cathedral at Killarney, including the spire, and embellished J. J. McCarthy's Lombardic Romanesque RC Cathedral in Thurles, Co Tipperary. His output was prodigious.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.