(fl c. 1470–87). German painter. He is named after a picture-screen (Nuremberg, Ger. Nmus.), parts of which originate from the monastery church of the Augustinian Hermits in Nuremberg. One side shows, on four wings, eight scenes from the Legend of St Vitus; these are broken by two wings showing scenes from four other saints’ lives. Four pairs of male and female saints are painted on the reverse, and two predella covers also survive. The interpolation of subject-matter suggests a combination of two different but stylistically related altarpieces: first an altar of the Ten Thousand Martyrs or Auxiliary Saints from the Cistercian chapel of the Ebracher Hof in Nuremberg, from 1482 (hence the Cistercian coat of arms under the Vision of St Bernard); secondly an altar of St Vitus produced in 1487 for the Augustinian Hermits. These works were assembled in their present form in 1932.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.