French family of sculptors. Jacques Bachot (fl 1493–1526), Marc Bachot (fl 1517–40) and Yvon Bachot (fl 1524–34) originated in Troyes, one of the main centres of sculptural production in France in the late Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Their precise relationships have not been established. Jacques Bachot seems to have been one of the last great Gothic sculptors of the Champagne region, to judge from the scale of his earnings and the extent of his activities, although none of his work is known to survive. He was in Troyes in 1493 as one of the sculptors of the Belle Croix (1484–97; destr. 1790s), a bronze monumental crucifix with numerous figures around the base. He is subsequently recorded as being in charge of the carving of marble and the erection of tombs ordered by Henri de Lorraine, Bishop of Metz, for St Laurent, Joinville (Haute-Marne). The chief parts of this ensemble, executed between 1495 and 1504 (destr. 1793), comprised the mausoleum of the Bishop, with a bronze effigy cast by Henri Costerel (fl 1495–1505), possibly from a model by Bachot, on a base by him decorated with statuettes of saints; and the tomb of Ferry II de Lorraine, Seigneur de Joinville, and His Wife Yolande d’Anjou, for which Bachot sculpted the base and the slab bearing the recumbent effigies of the deceased. After 1504–5 Jacques Bachot was again in Troyes, where he carved a statue of St Peter for the cathedral and a statue of the Virgin for St Pantaléon. In 1513 he was elected as a representative of the corporation of booksellers, embroiderers, painters and sculptors of Troyes. He subsequently went to Lorraine and worked in the church at St Nicolas-de-Port, Meurthe-et-Moselle. Around 1524–5 he carved a statue of the Virgin for St Nicolas, Troyes.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.