(1810–92). French architect, a pupil of Debret and Duban, he specialized in the French Renaissance Revival. He was appointed by Haussmann to design the Tribunal de Commerce, Paris (1858–64), based on the Town Hall in Brescia, and containing a sumptuous vaulted staircase of considerable grandeur. His Mairie of the fourth arrondissement (1862–7) is probably his best work, owing much to C17 French precedent.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.