(1908–2003). English architect. He founded Building Design Partnership (BDP) in 1961, the first British example of the multi-disciplinary design-team, and anticipated the globalization of architecture earlier than most of his contemporaries. He designed the Power and Production Pavilion for the 1951 Festival of Britain, and the offices for the Shell Company at Stanlow, Ches. (1956—a sub-Corbusian essay). Nevertheless, he claimed to be influenced primarily by the Bauhaus and by his own Leftist beliefs, specializing in large-scale public and industrial works, e.g. the buildings for British Nuclear Fuels at Sellafield, Cumb. (1970s).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.