French architect and academic, the son of L. -P. Baltard. As City Architect of Paris, he redecorated and rebuilt many Parisian churches, but his chief works were the iron-and-glass Halles Centrales, Paris (1852–9—demolished)—with Félix-Emmanuel Callet (1792–1854)—and the remarkable Church of St-Augustin (1860–71)—with cast-iron columns inside and a French Renaissance exterior. He also added the Chapelle des Catéchismes (1853) to Chalgrin's great Church of St-Philippe-du-Roule (1768–84). He published Villa Médicis à Rome (1847) and, with Callet, Monographie des halles centrales de Paris (1863 and 1873).
Baltard & Callet (1863);Benevolo (1971);Deconchy (1875);C. Garnier (1874);Middleton and Watkin (1987)