In Northumberland is sited on an outcrop of basalt rock, overlooking the North Sea. A citadel of the Anglo‐Saxon kings of Bernicia, it was close to their palace at Yeavering and the royal monastery of Lindisfarne. Later the site became a centre of power of the earls of Northumbria. It was allowed to fall into decay after being severely damaged in the siege of 1464, when held by the Lancastrians against Edward IV. Warwick the Kingmaker pounded it with heavy guns, despite the king's wish that it be taken whole. Its present condition is due to modern restorations, especially by Lord Armstrong.
Subjects: British History.