[formerly Hung. Bártfa, Ger. Bartfeld].
Town in the north-east of Slovakia, situated on the River Topla. Construction of the medieval town and fortifications was finished in the third quarter of the 14th century; and Bardejov was granted its royal charter in 1376. The town was laid out on a chessboard pattern with an oblong area in the middle and building plots measuring 9×6 m. The fortifications were reinforced by Master Mikuláš Lapicida from 1441 and subsequently up to the mid-16th century under the supervision of Master Mikuláš from Sabinov. Eventually they consisted of two parallel circuits of walls with a moat, reinforced towers and four gates protected by barbicans. The main bulwark was 8 m high and had a gallery. The towers, nine free-standing, two part of existing structures, are cylindrical in shape and form a semicircle. The masonry is plastered over and the plaster incised with the shape of ashlar blocks and decorated with a number of paintings.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.