Irish architect from Newry, Co. Down. He assisted Thomas Duff until the latter's death, and established his own practice in 1850, later (1860) moving to Belfast, where he designed several important buildings, including the Italianate Ulster Hall (1859–62—one of the largest music-halls in the British Isles when built), the Second Pointed Duncairn Presbyterian Church (1860–2), the polychrome round-arched Moat, Old Holywood Road (1863–4), Clanwilliam (later Danesfort) House (1864), the polychrome Lombardic-Romanesque Methodist Church, University Road (1864–5), the Venetian palazzo of Bryson House, Bedford Street (1865–7), the Gothic Revival Albert Memorial clock-tower (1865–9— beautifully restored 2000–2), and the opulent round-arched former Bank at Castle Junction (1864–9), encrusted with lavishly carved detail. His buildings were florid and eclectic, with robust ornament.
Brett (1967);D. Dunlop (ed.) (1868);Larmour (1987)