British archaeologist specializing in medieval settlement and historic buildings, with a life long commitment to socialism, working‐class origins, and the study of traditional buildings and folklore. Born in Lincoln, he studied history at Reading University before becoming involved in teaching adults in the Extramural Department of Nottingham University. In 1962 he transferred to a newly created post in archaeology in the Classics Department where he stayed until retirement in 1974. From 1951 he was actively involved in the development of the Council for British Archaeology, first as a member of the Executive Committee and later as its Secretary (1954–64) and President (1964–7). Between 1957 and 1963 he was President of the Vernacular Architecture Group and between 1972 and 1990 Chairman of the York Archaeological Trust. Medieval buildings and towns were his speciality and his publications include The English farmhouse and cottage (1961, London: Routledge & Kegan Paul) and Guide to British topographical collections (1974, London: CBA).
British Archaeological News, 6.5 (1991), 60–61