A see in the Province of Canterbury, founded c.909 as the diocese of Wells. Sometime between 1088 and 1091 the see was moved to Bath. Honorius III authorized the title ‘Bath and Wells’ in 1219, and in 1245 Innocent IV ordered that elections should be made alternately in Bath and Wells by the two chapters jointly, with enthronement at the place of election. Since the dissolution of Bath Abbey in 1540, Wells has been the sole cathedral of the diocese; the abbey church at Bath has served as a parish church.
Subjects: British History — Christianity.