(b ?Schwäbisch Gmünd; fl 1563; d before 1600). German sculptor. He was probably the brother of lienhardt Baumhauer. In 1563 he was accepted as a member of the Guild of St Luke in Würzburg. In 1571 he was commissioned by the guild's senior council to prepare a model for sculptors’ masterpieces. The only definite source of information about his work concerns the building of the Rathaus in Schweinfurt: c. 1571 he made 22 figures (untraced) to be placed on the gables of the Rathaus. Most of the sculptures that are linked with Baumhauer are funerary monuments, mainly in stone. The tomb of Georg von Lichtstein and his Wife in the crypt of Würzburg Cathedral (1569) bears Baumhauer's initials. The tomb of Barbara Betzold (d 1566) in the Marienkapelle at Würzburg, that of Ritter Mathes von Rotenham (d 1569) in the parish church at Ebern and the tombs of Friedrich von Wiesenthau and his Wife (d 1569) and Wolf Dietrich von Wiesenthau (d 1575), both of which are in the parish church at Schesslitz, have close stylistic links: both the shapes of the architectural frames, which hark back to Classical antiquity, and the way in which the figures are fashioned point to Baumhauer. The Renaissance details that were disseminated by means of pattern books by Gualtherus Rivius, Hans Blum and Hans Vredeman de Vries came into Würzburg art through the work of Baumhauer, which yet makes clear the limit to which Renaissance forms could be assimilated by the local artists.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.