(b Valenciennes, c.1330/40; d ?Bourges, c.1403).
Franco-Netherlandish artist, primarily a sculptor but also active as an illuminator and a designer of stained glass. He was born in Valenciennes and is first documented in about 1360. By 1364 he was in Paris working on a series of royal tombs commissioned by King Charles V for the abbey of Saint-Denis, near Paris. Most of the work was carried out by assistants, but the sensitively characterized effigy of Charles himself is regarded as entirely Beauneveu's work; it is the first French royal effigy to show the subject alive. For unknown reasons Beauneveu left Charles's employment in 1366. He possibly spent some years in England before moving to the Netherlands. In 1372 he was in Tournai and in 1374–7 he worked for Louis de Male, Count of Flanders, in Courtrai. From this period dates a handsome alabaster statue of St Catherine (church of Our Lady, Courtrai). In 1386 he entered the service of Jean, Duc de Berry (brother of Charles V), and evidently remained in his employment for the rest of his life, working mainly in Bourges. His only documented works as an illuminator date from this period—24 grisaille miniatures of Prophets and Apostles in Jean's Psalter (c.1390, Bib. Nat., Paris). Beauneveu was one of the leading artists of his day and his style, in both sculpture and painting, heralds the general northern European trend towards naturalism in the 15th century.