Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Prepared horizontal surface with a layer of mortar on which bricks, stones, tiles, etc., lie; also the under-surface in contact with the mortar-layer. The bed-joint is therefore where those surfaces meet, and the term is also applied to the joints between the voussoirs of an arch. In Classical architecture the bed-moulding is part of the entablature, lying between the corona and the frieze, or any moulding over which any horizontal moulding projects.

Subjects: Architecture.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.