Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

1 A name sometimes applied to the thickest planks on the side of a wooden ship from the waterline or turn of the bilge upwards. They are, however, more properly called wales, and have the beams and knees of the hull structure bolted to them.

2 The colloquial name for decompression sickness.

See also diving.

See also diving.

Subjects: Maritime History.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.