*Porcelain made in Berlin from 1751. The first factory was founded by Wilhelm Kaspar Wegely and operated for five years producing good quality, hard-paste porcelain table wares, vases, and figures. A second factory, founded in 1761 by Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky, was acquired in 1763 by Frederick the Great. The early products were tea and coffee wares and figures, in a restrained Rococo style. By 1770, the factory developed a severer style, influenced by Neoclassicism. In the early 19th century, the Empire style became popular, with ornamental vases often painted with views in and around Berlin. The mark of the Berlin factory from 1763 onwards was a sceptre in underglaze blue.
http://www.gardinermuseum.on.ca/colview.aspx?&TopNavImage=&ImageID=&GroupName=&Material=berlin&Header=header_berlin.gif Description and illustrations on Gardiner Museum, Toronto website.