(fl c. 1408–20). French illuminator. He is named after an Apocalypse in French (New York, Morgan Lib. & Mus., MS. M. 133), his finest work. The manuscript belonged to Jean, Duc de Berry, as shown by his ex libris on fol. 87v, but it does not appear in any of the inventories of the ducal library. Jean de Berry may have been the first owner of the manuscript, which was probably begun shortly before his death, in 1414 or 1415. It comprises a cycle of 83 illustrations, each framed by a scene from the Life of St John against a red background. The size of the miniatures varies from half a page, with the text in two columns beneath, to full-page pictures with no text. As in the second Apocalypse of the so-called Master of the Medallion of similar date (Chantilly, Mus. Condé, MS. 28; see Meiss), the sequence of illustrations largely departs from older models.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.