(fl 1508–9). Italian marble mason and sculptor, active in France. He was of Genoese origin and was one of a group of Italian artists responsible for the introduction of the repertory of Renaissance ornament into France. His name is principally associated with the famous monumental marble fountain that stood in the courtyard of the château of Gaillon, Eure, a present from the Republic of Venice to Cardinal Georges d’Amboise. Bertrand accompanied the fountain (the work of Pace Gagini (fl 1493–1521) and Antonio della Porta (fl 1489–1519)) from Genoa to Gaillon at the beginning of 1508. He took part in its installation and is generally thought to have completed its decoration by carving the panels of the octagonal basin on site. This basin (La Rochefoucauld, Château) is the only surviving part of this influential work, which was dismantled in 1757.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.