Overview

Bible Society


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

The evangelical revival's largest pan‐denominational organization was formed in 1804 to promote the international distribution of the Scriptures. Based in London, with a committee of fifteen Anglicans, fifteen dissenters, and six foreigners, its fundamental principle was that only bibles authorized by public authority should be circulated, without note or comment. By the 1970s it issued 1,000,000 bibles annually, in over 1,000 languages.

Subjects: Biblical Studies.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.