Overview

Biblical Commission


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

A committee of cardinals was instituted by Leo XIII in 1902 to further Biblical studies and to safeguard the authority of Scripture against the attacks of exaggerated criticism. In answer to questions it issued a series of conservative responsa, such as that on the Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch (1906). After 1943 a more liberal attitude prevailed and in 1954 the Commission's secretary declared that responsa dealing with literary questions were to be regarded as conditioned by their time. In 1971 the Commission was reorganized as part of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith; it now consists of 20 scholars who advise the Congregation and the Pope on biblical aspects of current issues.

Subjects: Christianity.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.