College of mus. Orig. part of Birmingham and Midland Inst. and formally constituted in 1886 as Birmingham Sch. of Mus. In new building since 1973. Title changed to Birmingham Conservatoire 1989, as part of Univ. of Central Eng. in Birmingham. Granville Bantock was appointed Principal 1900, followed by A. K. Blackall (1934–45); Christopher Edmunds (1945–57); Steuart Wilson (1957–60); Gordon Clinton (1960–73); Louis Carus (1975–87); Roy Wales (1987–8); Kevin Thompson (1988–93); George Caird from 1993.