Was built within the boundaries of the old Dominican monastery lying between Ludgate Hill and the river. The first theatre on the site was adapted for performances by Richard Farrant in 1576; the second, adapted by J. Burbage in 1596, reverted to his son R. Burbage in 1608. Shakespeare had a share in the new company that performed there. The building was demolished in 1655.
Subjects: Shakespeare Studies and Criticism.