(fl 1515–28). French sculptor. He was established at Orléans, producing architectural, religious and tomb sculpture that is now destroyed or untraced. Among his works were the carved stone doorway of the chapel at the château of Thouars, Deux-Sèvres (destr.) and a group of three statues (c. 1520; destr. 1820) for the chapel of St Saviour at the collegiate church of Cléry-Saint-André, near Orléans. One of his most ambitious works, for which he inherited the contract from Martin Claustre in 1525, was the marble and alabaster tomb of Guillaume de Montmorency and Anne Pot (destr. 1808 but known from an engraving of 1624) in the church of St Martin at Montmorency, Val-d’Oise. It followed a common pattern for French tombs in the early 16th century, with a base in the form of a sarcophagus, surrounded by statues of the 12 Apostles in shell-headed niches separated by pilasters in the antique manner. On top of this were the recumbent effigies of the deceased in contemporary dress.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.