William Joseph Booth

(c. 1796—1871)

Quick Reference

(c. 1796–1871).

English architect, the son of John Booth. In 1822 he became Surveyor to The Drapers' Company, and carried out numerous works on the com-pany's estates in Co. Londonderry, including the very severe Presbyterian Meeting-House (1843—a remarkable essay in stripped Neo-Classicism) and Market-House (1839) at Draperstown, and at Moneymore the monumental Corn-Store, Market-House, and outbuildings (1839), numerous houses (some in a C17 Gothic style), the Common Barn (1843), the Second Presbyterian Church (1829–32), and the large Parish Church of St John (1830–32—in a massive Romanesque style). He produced several accomplished watercolours of aspects of the estate, some of which were published.

J. Curl (1986)

Subjects: Architecture.

Reference entries