The company was established in the textile manufacturing area of south‐western Sweden. Although the employment of artists for textile design was rare until the 1930s, when a small number were taken on by Boras Wäfveri, it was not until the establishment of a design department in 1966 that a change of attitude was really felt. Subsequently entitled the Boras Cotton Studio, much of the output was geared to the design of cotton fabrics for public buildings. Inez Svensson had been made art director in 1957, soon establishing an artistic impetus for the company's textile designs with the recruitment of Sven Fristedt to the Boras Cotton Studio. From 1968 onwards the company commenced its annual policy of selecting ten artists for its textile collection and in the early 1970s worked with the Tio‐Gruppen (Group of Ten) which had been founded in Stockholm in 1970 by Gunila Axén, Inez Svensson, and others.
Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.