Architect to the Board of First Fruits in Ireland, and therefore designer of numerous Anglican churches. He also had a large secular practice. Among works based on his standard Gothic designs were the Parish Churches of Aghanloo (1823), Bovevagh (1823), Faughanvale (Eglinton) (1821), Fahan (1820), and Maghera (1819), all in Co. Londonderry. He also designed the handsome Greek Revival Court-House, Londonderry (1813, completed 1817), and Foyle College, Londonderry (1808–14). He was responsible for the design of St George's Parish Church, Belfast (1811), with its handsome Corinthian portico recycled from the great house at Ballyscullion, Co. Londonderry (built (from 1787) for Frederick Augustus Hervey (1730–1803), 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry, probably designed by Sandys, Shanahan, and Sandys's brother Joseph). With Edward or Robert Parke (fl. 1787–1818— who designed the west façade and Ionic colonnade of the House of Commons (now Bank of Ireland), Dublin (1787–94) ) he was responsible for the severe Greek Doric Court-House, Dundalk, Co. Louth (1813–18), and, with Joseph Welland, was responsible for the Church of St Stephen, Dublin, a fine Greek Revival Anglican church, with distyle in antis portico (consecrated 1824, but subsequently altered inside).
M. Craig (1982);J. Curl (1986, 2000)