Brandenburg Gate

Quick Reference

The only one of the city gates of Berlin to survive. It was built in 1788–91 by Carl Langhans (1732–1808), chief architect to Frederick William II of Prussia, in neoclassical style, and surmounted by the Quadriga of Victory, a chariot drawn by four horses. After the construction of the Berlin Wall (1961) it stood in East Berlin, a conspicuous symbol of a divided city; it was reopened on 21 December 1989.

Subjects: World History.

Reference entries