English architect. He carried on the Arts-and-Crafts traditions through a long and bleak period, ensuring his pupils were informed about the late-C19 and early-C20 architects who had been so important in giving that movement life. Opposed to what he called 'style-mongering', he stressed the importance of ‘doing it well and getting it right’. From 1933, when he joined Charles Cowles Voysey (1889–1981— son of C. F. A. Voysey) as an assistant, eventually becoming a partner, he devoted his life to architecture. He designed the town halls for Bromley (Kent—1937–9), Watford (Herts.— 1939–40), and Worthing (Sussex—c.1935), the Guildhall in Cambridge (1936–7), and the Festival House in Hull (1949–53). After war-service, he returned to practice with Voysey, and was joined by Robert Ashton (1906–1995) and John Desmond Broadbent (1920–94), rebuilding Morley College (1958—which had been bombed), designing several municipal offices, and then the superb County Offices at Winchester, Hants. (1959–60—later disfigured by hideously mismatched extensions). He was a regular attender of meetings of the Art-Workers' Guild, of which he served as Master.
personal knowledge;The Times (11 June 1999), 27.