Quick Reference

Most brass used in Britain before the 18th century was imported, despite the efforts of the Mineral and Battery Company, which had been granted a monopoly in 1567 to use Coniston copper and Somerset zinc. From the 16th century onwards decorated brass guns were made in London and nearby in Kent, and brass wire was used for pin‐making. Bristol became the centre of production of brass following the foundation of Baptist Mills in 1702; William Champion's works and housing at Warnley were erected from 1740 onwards. Another water‐powered site that has been investigated is that at Holywell (Flintshire), established in 1765.

Subjects: History.

Reference entries