(b 1676; d 1742). German cabinetmaker. In 1705 he moved from his native Brabant to Bamberg, where he entered the service of the Prince-bishop Lothar Franz von Schönborn. In 1724 he became chief cabinetmaker in succession to Ferdinand Plitzner, and 1735 he was appointed ‘court-cabinetmaker’ (Hofschreiner). His surviving work includes the crucifixion altar (1720-30) and the choir stalls (completed 1730) in St Michael's Church in Bamberg. Several examples of his furniture are preserved at Schloss Weissenstein (Pommersfelden), notably a baroque writing desk (1727) richly decorated with marquetry.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.