Overview

Brighton


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Originally Brithelmston, a Sussex fishing village, Brighton developed rapidly from the mid‐18th cent., when Dr Richard Russell recommended its health‐giving air. It was patronized by Fanny Burney, Samuel Johnson (1770), and from 1784 by George, prince of Wales. Brighton's original classical Royal Pavilion, built by Henry Holland (1784), was redeveloped by Nash in oriental style with an Indian exterior and Chinese interior (1817).

Subjects: Literature.


Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »


Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.