Bristol porcelain

Quick Reference

Benjamin Lund set up a factory making soft-paste porcelain in Bristol in 1749, producing small items such as cream jugs and sauce boats, but in 1752 the factory was taken over by Worcester, so its products are rare. In 1770 William Cookworthy transferred his hard-paste porcelain factory from Plymouth to Bristol. In 1774 the patent was assigned to Richard Champion, but the factory closed in 1782 after much litigation and the patent passed to the New Hall factory in Staffordshire.

Subjects: Art.

Reference entries